On a cloudy rainy May day, I find the best way to bring a little sunshine inside is to spend some time in my kitchen. Making use of the ingredients I already have at my fingertips, allows me to experiment and create something tasty and my own naturally.
Now just the other day, I was feeling cramped inside trying to avoid the rain. I remembered I had just received a wonderful gift of chocolate salted caramels, and I wanted to use them in a recipe. I dug through my pantry and found I had some of my Aunt Patty’s Mt. Rainier Trail Mix (this is our organic mix made up of almonds, cashews, cranberries, raisins, sunflower seed kernels, and pumpkin seeds). I thought these would be great additions to a traditional oatmeal cookie recipe, and just like that I present to you:
Aunt Patty’s Organic Trail Mix Morsels
- Combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, Aunt Patty’s Baking Soda and sea salt.
- Melt butter and half & half. Add to dry mixture, mix well.
- Stir in Aunt Patty’s Organic Mt. Rainier Trail Mix. If desired, add Aunt Patty’s Chopped Pecans and if needed, add 3 Tbsp water. Add chopped chocolate salted carmels.
- Press into a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool, cut the bars into 2-inch squares. Stored in an airtight container in a cool space, the bars will keep for about 1 week.